Over the years, human beings have practiced one form of tradition or another and they do not care about the consequences.
Somewhere in Nepal, India, a 15-year-old girl was banned from sleeping in the house and participating in some household chores because she was menstruating.
According to Al Jazeera, revealed that the young girl had died from suffocation from the smoke of the fire she usually lit in her ‘chhaupadi shed’ (where girls who are menstruating are made to sleep) to keep warm all night. A local inspector also said that:
“We are investigating the case. We suspect that she died of suffocation from the smoke of a fire she lit to keep herself warm.”
PAY ATTENTION: Get all the latest gossips on NAIJ Gossip App
The girl, who was identified as Roshnai, was said to have had dinner around 6pm before going in to sleep but by the next morning, she was reported dead by her father. Her father said: “Then we saw her dead body. As it was her holiday on Saturday, we thought she had gone to jungle to collect firewood.”
Chhaupadi has been a banned practice in Nepal since 2005 but many areas still implement the Hindu custom, which forbids women from having contact with men during their menstruation as well as touching certain objects or foods.