- Little girl dies after five days without food or water. Parents had consumed a lethal drug and allegedly died of overdose
-The parents had history of drug abuse.Child and Youth Service paid them a visit to assess their living condition, but interestingly found that everything was well with the young parents
- Since the parents are dead and therefore cannot be criminally charged, police are still investigation the child's death
The death of Summer Chamber, a five year old baby girl, has shook the neighbourhood, not because of her tender age, but rather what killed her.
An autopsy carried on her body revealed that she died of severe dehydration and starvation at her home in Johnstown, Pennsylvania.
"The little girl was found dead after five days of starvation in the house," says Jeff Lees, Cambria County coroner.
Chamber is said to have died after her parents, Jason Chambers, 27, and Chelsea Cardaro, 19, died of drug overdose.
Chamber's parents had allegedly consumed an overdoes of fentanyl, a powerful synthetic opioid analgesic that is similar to morphine but is 50 to 100 times more potent. Also discovered at the scene was heroin.
PAY ATTENTION: Get all the latest gossips on NAIJ Gossip App
Police has since ruled Chamber's (the little baby girl's) death as homicide.
"It is indeed unfathomable what the little girl went through while still alive," says Jeff Janciga, Johnstown police chief.
The family was from New York and had been residing in their Johnstown house for a few months, according to neighbours.
Unlike their little girl whose death was categorised as homicide, the police ruled the parents' death as accidental.
"Since the parents can't be criminally charged, district attorney officials and police detectives are still investigating the child's death," says Janciga.
The officers say the family had a history of drug abuse. According to Chad Miller, Johnstown police captain, Chamber's father had previously been saved from drug overdose.
Following the overdose incident, Child and Youth Services met the couple and their little child at their home to assess their living condition.
Everything was fine.They had a good house and plenty of food, and the kid seemed well taken care of.
Perhaps, the Child and Youth Service should have taken more precautions, considering that the young couple was seemingly struggling with drug problem.