A power surge in Obio-Akpor, Rivers state has claimed the lives of a young couple and a 50-year-old cobbler.
The young couple were reportedly electrocuted when they came in contact with burglar-proof bars at the entrance of their house.
According to the Punch, the community transformer suddenly lost control and started to spark uncontrollably, which then lead to a power outage in the neighbourhood.
A few minutes later, the Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company restored high voltage power, which lead to the destruction of appliances, deaths and several injuries.
Landlord to the victims blamed the officials of the electricity company for the tragic incident. He said: “The incident occurred about 7am last Tuesday when PHED restored power. There had been a serious spark from our transformer and electricity was interrupted. About 10 minutes later, the power was restored with high voltage”
PAY ATTENTION: Get all the latest gossips on NAIJ Gossip App
“It blew up our appliances, including refrigerators, fans, air conditioners and phone chargers. One of my tenants ran to my house crying that the surge had caused electric shocks. The nursing mother wanted to come out when her hand touched the burglar-proof bars and she got stuck. I ran there and used a stick to push her away.”
“Before I could call the PHED office to switch off the electricity, the husband of the woman, Obinna Okereke, had also been electrocuted. About six persons were also injured. After calling the PHED, it took them more than 35 minutes before power was switched off. Appliances were burnt.”
He added that the electricity company had assured the community that it would take care of the burial service of the deceased.
The landlord further expressed that the couple who died left behind a 2-month-old baby. He said: “We met with the officials of PHED at the head office and they assured us that they would take care of the burial of the deceased. Our concern now is the welfare of the two-month-old son of the deceased couple.”