Man falls asleep with iPhone charging in bed, it electrocutes him almost to death (photos, video)

Man falls asleep with iPhone charging in bed, it electrocutes him almost to death (photos, video)

- A man was nearly electrocuted for charging his phone in bed

- His metal necklace got caught between the extension cord and the charger

- He got second- and third-degree burns

A man from Huntsville in Alabama, US almost lost his life by electrocution, after he fell asleep with his iPhone charging in bed.

Man falls asleep with iPhone charging in bed, it electrocutes him almost to death (photos, video)

Wiley Day had grown used to charging his phone overnight, very near him. In fact, he normally left it right on his bed, via an extension cord.

What he did not take into account was that at the next morning, as he rolled over stretching after his night’s sleep, his dog-tag chain accidentally came lodged right between the extension cord head and his iPhone’s charger, “and my necklace became the conductor,” he said.

READ ALSO: How 5 siblings were burnt to death in house fire - Abuja Electricity Distribution company reveals (photo)

Man falls asleep with iPhone charging in bed, it electrocutes him almost to death (photos, video)

Day received burns to his neck and hands.

He will forever regret the very common habit among people to charge phones near their sleeping area. A 110-volt electric charge traveled through Day’s body straight to his neck. Day commented the moment was "the eeriest, darkest, most demonic thing you could ever experience."

He describes how he was thrown from bed, his body became numb, and he started fainting. Thankfully, Day managed to yank the necklace off somehow, and let out a scream, which an adult niece that lives in the same house heard.

READ ALSO: Boy pours acid on his friend thinking it was Izaal

Man falls asleep with iPhone charging in bed, it electrocutes him almost to death (photos, video)

Day came out on TV with his story so others could learn from it.

He was quickly taken to his doctor, who said he had to be admitted into a hospital immediately. Day suffered second- and third-degree burns to his hands and neck, where the necklace’s small metal balls left scorching marks.

READ ALSO: Cesc Fabregas welcomes bouncing baby boy with partner

Day thinks if he had not pulled the necklace off when he did, he might have even died, because even 100 volts can kill a person. "He is lucky to be alive," Benjamin Fail, a Huntsville physician, said. He stayed at the hospital for three days.

The man came out on TV with his story, in order to create awareness about the dangers of charging electronics in bed. He said many people have reached out to him, admitting they also sleep next to their charging phones.

Extension cords cause around 4,700 residential fires in the U.S., with some 50 deaths and 280 injuries each year.

Watch the video:

Source: Gossip.naij.com

Related news
Nigerian lady 'helps' bus driver to fight an ‘agbero’ (photo)

Nigerian lady 'helps' bus driver to fight an ‘agbero’ (photo)

Nigerian lady 'helps' bus driver to fight an ‘agbero’ (photo)
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel