365

USD/NGN

Boy, 5, has a matter of days to stay alive after doctors dismissed cancer as constipation

Boy, 5, has a matter of days to stay alive after doctors dismissed cancer as constipation

- The medics reportedly dismissed the boy’s aggressive cancer and insisted that it was just constipation that could be cured with laxatives

- His parents didn't think it was ‘a life and death situation’, so they tried to treat him at home. Unfortunately, the youngster’s condition did not improve

- Michael Signwaza now has a few weeks to live after the doctors finally discovered he actually had stage 4 cancer. Here is what the family plans to do next

A five-year-old boy from Wokingham, UK has a matter of days to stay alive after doctors revealed to his parents that he had a stage 4 cancer.

READ ALSO: Pastor releases doves at funeral only for them to be smashed by truck

Boy, 5, has a matter of days to stay alive after doctors dismissed cancer as constipation

Ernest Sigwaza is pictured with his dying son, Michael (Photo: gofundme / SWNS.com)

Little Michael Signwaza reportedly fell ill in July last year, but his parents didn't think it was ‘something serious’, so they tried to treat him at home.

However, the youngster’s condition failed to improve.

A month later, his parents, Mr Ernest Signwaza, who is originally from South Africa, and Mrs Ann Signwaza, who is from Kenya, decided to take Michael to the doctor. He was initially diagnosed with constipation.

The family reportedly made several visits to the doctor as well as to Bristol Children's Hospital's Emergency Department as Michael's condition became increasingly worse.

They, however, claim that they were repeatedly told the little boy was suffering from severe constipation and he should continue taking laxatives.

It was only when they signed up with a new GP, after moving house, that they say the youngster was finally diagnosed with cancer.

READ ALSO: Jamaican citizen, Violet Brown becomes world's oldest woman as she turns 117 (photos)

Boy, 5, has a matter of days to stay alive after doctors dismissed cancer as constipation

Michael's family claim the little boy made several visits to Bristol Children's Hospital's Emergency Department (file picture) (Photo: Google Maps).

It turned out little Michael had been suffering from symptoms of the disease for five months. According to his family, he was diagnosed with a rhabdoid tumour.

Doctors say this is an aggressive childhood tumour that typically starts in the kidney, though cells from it can spread to other areas of the body.

The family says Michael started chemotherapy in February this year and it was thought that he was responding well.

But medics broke the heartbreaking news on March 29 that the cancer was at Stage 4 and that chemotherapy was ‘not working’.

READ ALSO: Goodluck Jonathan sends Easter message to Nigerians

The doctors allegedly told Michael’s devastated parents that there were no further treatment options left on the table.

"We were informed by the medical team that the cancer has spread and that they have no further treatment options available as chemotherapy is not working,” says Mr Signwaza. “In other words our dear child's illness is terminal and therefore he will be discharged home for palliative care.”

Besides the chemotherapy, the little boy had undergone operations to try to ‘relieve obstruction in his bowels and urinary system caused by the tumour’.

Now, he is set to be discharged from hospital and will be put on palliative care at home. Michael's family doesn’t know how long he has left to live, but they have reportedly been told that the boy has a matter of weeks or a few months left.

The parents are now struggling to spend as much time as possible with the boy before he dies.

"We are deeply saddened to imagine that we don't have much time left with our dear son. Our commitment and wish, as his loving parents, is to spend every second as a family,” says the father.

Watch the video:

Related news
Nigerian man demands divorce, accuses wife and her relatives of being witches (photo)

Nigerian man demands divorce, accuses wife and her relatives of being witches (photo)

Nigerian man files for divorce, accuses wife and her relatives of attacking him as birds (photo)
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel