Quite a lot of Nigeria's military and democratic presidents and top politicians have something in common.
A number of them attended the same secondary school - Barewa College in Zaria, Kaduna State. The school was founded in 1921 by British governor-general, Hugh Clifford and was formerly called Katsina College. The name was changed to Kaduna College in 1938 and then Government College, Zaria in 1949 before its current name Barewa College.
The school has produced about 5 presidents, 20 governors, ministers and more. Here are the list of former Nigerian presidents, ministers, governors who attended the prestigious college:
– Alh. Ahmadu Bello, Premier of Northern Nigeria from 1954 to 1966
– Alh. Abubakar Tafawa-Balewa, Prime Minister of Nigeria from 1960 to 1961
– Gen. Murtala Mohammed, Military President from 1975 to 1976
– Gen. Yakubu Gowon(retd.), Military President from 1966 to 1975
– Alh. Shehu Shagari, President of Nigeria from 1979 to 1983
– Alh. Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, President of Nigeria from 2007 to 2010
– Mallam Adamu Ciroma , 3-time Minister (Industries; Agriculture; and Finance)
– Prof. Jubril Aminu – 2-time Minister (Education; Petroleum and Mineral Resources)
– Alh. Umaru Dikko – Minister of Transportation
– Alh. Ibrahim Mahmud Alfa, Ex-Governor of Kaduna State
– Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, Governor of Kaduna State
– Dr. Orji Uzor-Kalu, Ex-Governor of Abia State
– Alhaji Mohammed Bello – (current) Minister of FCT
– Lt. Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazzau(retd.) – (current) Minister of Interior
– Air Commodore Ibrahim Alkali(retd.) – Ex-Military Governor of Kwara State
– Prof. Bolaji Akinyemi – Ex-Minister of Education
– Hon. Justice Idris Legbo Kutigi – Former Chief Justice of Nigeria(CJN)
– Hon. Justice Uwais – Former Chief Justice of Nigeria
– Hon. Justice Mohammed Bello, Former Chief Justice of Nigeria
Memorable names of the school's dormitories include: Bello Kagara House, Luggard House, Clifford House, Dan Hausa House, Mallam Smith House, Nagwamatse House, Bienemann House, Mort House, and later Jafaru House and Suleiman Barau House, which were previously called New House A and New House B during their construction. These dormitories housed up to a thousand pupils at any one time, within the vast landscape east of Tudun Wadda.