The first gay church in Nigeria, House Of Rainbow, has celebrated their 10th anniversary.
According to them, they celebrated the event which took place in London 'with pride' with about 60 people in attendance.
Jide Macaulay, Nigeria's first openly gay pastor who founded House of Rainbow Fellowship on September 2, 2006 said:
''It is the case of the rejected stones becoming the cornerstone. Our theme was Testimony, Grace & Glory. For 10 years we have been active creating safe spaces for Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals, Transgender, Intersex and Queer people to worship, and celebrate God, just as we are. In this new decade we are proud to announce the growth of our mission, Eight leaders in Nigeria, Three in Ghana, Two in South Africa, Two in Uganda, Two in Zambia, One each in Botswana, Liberia, Tanzania, Malawi, Sweden and United Kingdom respectively.''
According to the church's pastor, below are some facts about the church:
1. Founded by Reverend Rowland Jide Macaulay in Lagos Nigeria on 2nd September 2006.
2. 32 people attended the first meeting which took place at Ikeja Capital City Hotel Ikeja Lagos.
3. On the 31st December 2006, House Of Rainbow hosted the largest number of LGBT people of faith gathering in Lagos for the New Years Eve celebration. Over 200 people attended.
PAY ATTENTION: Get all the latest gossips on NAIJ Gossip App
4. House Of Rainbow is involved in justice ministry, asylum, women project, sexual and mental health interventions.
5. There are currently 13 active groups with 17 volunteer local leaders, 11 cities and in 7 countries, Nigeria, Ghana, Malawi, Lesotho, Burundi, Zambia, and United Kingdom.
6. House Of Rainbow printed and distributed over 10,000 copies of Pocket Devotional for LGBT Christians.
7. House Of Rainbow now include fellowship to LGBTIQ Christians and Muslims
8. The Nigeria Media and unknown homophobes attacked House of Rainbow in 2008, resulting in brutal assaults on members and death threats.